When to repair, when to replace?
To repair or not repair your Air Conditioning and Heating System?
To repair not repair, this is the question. No one loves a list more than I do. So, we are going to go over whether you should repair your old, outdated Air Conditioning and Heating System, or if you should have a new Air Conditioning and Heating System installed all together.
To repair or not repair is sometimes a question that no one can answer for you. We ask this question in our everyday life, especially when it comes to relationships, jobs and life in general. People can give you THEIR advice or THEIR opinion, just like your awful mother in law does, but in the end, you will have to make the soundest choice for you and your family.
Since I can’t assist you in making the bigger choices in life, I can assist you in making a basic household choice. Below is a list I have put together to help you keep in mind when choosing whether to repair or replace your Air Conditioning and Heating System.
When to repair?
- NEW OR OLD: If your Air Conditioning and Heating unit is well under 10 years old, repairing the unit is something you should consider before spending heaps of money on a new unit. The price of repair for a newer Air Conditioning and Heating System is generally minimal.
- FINANCING: If you have a loan that was taken out for the Air Conditioning and Heating System you may consider repairing the Air Conditioning and Heating System till the loan is paid off.
- ENERGY EFFICIENCY: Again, is your Air Conditioning and Heating System newer (under 10 years old)? If your answer is yes, then you don’t have to worry too much if your Air Conditioning and Heating System is running efficiently, just make sure you are giving it tender loving care such as, regular maintenance.
- ENVIRONMENTAL: When choosing to repair your Air Conditioning and Heating unit the rule, yet again, comes back to how old the unit is. An Air Conditioning and Heating System under 10 years of age, environmentally speaking, probably is doing minimal damage. Newer is and always will be better but you can’t go out a buy an AC unit the way people upgrade their cellphones. That’s madness.
- INVESTMENT: I come across a lot of people who say, “I am not going to install a new Air Conditioning and Heating unit since I am planning on moving in the next year, I would rather repair”. To them I say, “Ok that’s a good idea”. No arguments here, invest that money on your new home instead. I have also heard “I don’t want my mother in law staying longer here just because we have cool air” again, no argument here.
When to replace?
- NEW OR OLD: If your Air Conditioning unit is older than 10 years, you may want to replace rather than repair. It is like the rules of owning a vehicle. If the repairs are 1/3 of the price that you paid for the unit then it would make sense to repair, but if they are half of the cost you may look into getting a new unit all together.
- FINANCING: Don’t let cost be the reason that keeps you from not installing a new Air Conditioning and Heating unit and keeps you investing in small costly repairs for an older Air Conditioning and Heating System. There are many companies out there that offer affordable financing to fix up your home. ygreneworks.com is one of the companies that can assist you with the maintenance on your home.
- ENERGY EFFICIENCY: Air Conditioning and Heating Systems are like an Apple product, the minute you purchase an Air Conditioning and Heating System that you think is efficient, a better one comes out shortly after. This is how industries stay alive, they are always trying to improve each year as they get their hands on new technology. A newer Air Conditioning and Heating System will always be a more efficient choice, thus saving you heaps of money on your electric bill each month.
- ENVIRONMENTAL: This reason is my absolute favorite of all reasons. If you love saving the environment as much as I do, then replacing your Air Conditioning and Heating System with a more energy efficient unit cannot only slow CO2 emissions but it can also save fossil fuels.
- INVESTMENT: Getting an Air Conditioning and Heating Systems is always a major investment and will save you money in the long run. Having a working Air Conditioning and Heating System if you are going sale or upgrade your home can always increase value. You will also find more comfort since your new Air Conditioning and Heating unit will cool or heat your home more efficiently than an out dated system.